Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Smoking 2 Stroke
UK Bike Forum > Technical Help > The Workshop
robborobinson
Hi

Hello to you all....

I am new to the forum and new to the world of motorcycles, or in my case, scooters.

I bought my first scooter yesterday, its a Peugeot Speedfight 2 100cc, 2001 on a Y plate, done just over 3000 Miles.

My Problem is this, when accelerating, the bike lets out plumes of blue smoke, now, you may say this is normal for a two stroke, but not to this extent, you have a job seeing through the smoke when you look backwards.

When accelerating, it feels as though the bike is misfiring, the engine hold's back before accelerating, thats when the smoke is at its worst, once your up to a speed of say 30mph and stay constantly at that speed, theres not a whisper of smoke and the bike is great, but as you accelerate, again, the bike holds back, puffs smoke and then accelerates, again, when a constant speed is reached, smoke dissapears.

The bike, so I am told has been standing for a couple of months before I bought it and I have been advised to empty out the fuel and put in fresh, which I will try tomorrow, dont think this will cure the problem though...

Any Ideas how I can resolve this problem, it seems as though the bike is initially mixing too much oil with the petrol and the bike is having to burn off alot of oil when accelerating....

I have'nt inspected the spark plug yet, but Im thinking of changing it.

As for the engine from a compression point of view, it seems fine, it starts from cold on the first touch of the button, and although its been standing for so long, I have had 60 mph out of it with ease (Not smoking at 60mph)

Any ideas or cures?????
Anth
I had the same problem with my 2 stroke until recently (It now doesn't run anymore but that's a different story grin.gif )

There's too much oil being mixed, that sounds to me like the "O"Rings need changing, or your exhaust system may have a hole/gap in there somewhere.
Mine had gaps where the downpipe and the can connected, all it took was a 5 gasket. once I fixed that- the smoke was reduced a fair bit.

Once you've swapped petrol, invest in a small bottle of "Red-X" and use some of that, it'll clean the crud from your tank and carbs.

If after a couple of days you find that the smoke is stil there then check your exhaust pipes and can first. At a standstill, (with the rear wheel off the ground, you'll need to be off the bikeat the time) give the throttle a fair amount of whack and look for any sign of smoke leaking from where it shouldn't.

if you can't find any then you might need to consider having someone look at your "O"rings, but that can be expensive cry.gif
A cheap bodge I heard of but never tried was to use a slightly thicker oil- but if you go too thick then you can really screw your engine up.

But don't quote me on that though thumbsup2.gif
Wilf
QUOTE(Uw.L @ Jun 3 2005, 06:23 PM)
I had the same problem with my 2 stroke until recently (It now doesn't run anymore but that's a different story grin.gif )

There's too much oil being mixed, that sounds to me like the "O"Rings need changing, or your exhaust system may have a hole/gap in there somewhere.
Mine had gaps where the downpipe and the can connected, all it took was a 5 gasket. once I fixed that- the smoke was reduced a fair bit.

Once you've swapped petrol, invest in a small bottle of "Red-X" and use some of that, it'll clean the crud from your tank and carbs.

If after a couple of days you find that the smoke is stil there then check your exhaust pipes and can first. At a standstill, (with the rear wheel off the ground, you'll need to be off the bikeat the time) give the throttle a fair amount of whack and look for any sign of smoke leaking from where it shouldn't.

if you can't find any then you might need to consider having someone look at your "O"rings, but that can be expensive cry.gif
A cheap bodge I heard of but never tried was to use a slightly thicker oil- but if you go too thick then you can really screw your engine up.

But don't quote me on that though thumbsup2.gif

If it's got good compression I'd check the oil pump setting to make sure you're getting the right amount of oil. On most two strokes it's very simple to adjust the pump if you have a manual/handbook for the bike.
If it's been sitting for a while you'll need to drain the petrol and replace it with fresh fuel. A splash of redex in the tank will help keep things clean. You can pour redex through the plug hole to free up the rings if they've got a bit gummed up. It's cheap stuff and it has instructions on the bottle, If you use it when you first start the bike up it'll chuck out an unbelievable amount of smoke but it'll clear after a while.Try to get your piston to roughly top dead centre before you put redex in the engine or it'll just pour out of the exhaust.
There may be nothing up with the bike, it's been a while since I had a two stroke but they all smoked.
Check the level of your gearbox oil and if it doesn't go down you're ok.
Fazerstun
I prefer Golden Virginia myself lbhh.gif
robborobinson
Hi guys

Thanks for your replys....

The O rings were my first thought, but would I be right in thinking that if they had gone, I would have smoke all the time, not only when accelerating.

I would have also thought that the performance would have been compromised aswell if they had gone, but it doesnt seem to have been..

Another sign I thought that would have been a tell tale sign that the o rings were gone was having trouble starting the bike due to lack of compression, but it starts from cold at the first flick of the switch, and runs as really strong, no need to re-start or anything...

Ill buy the workshop manual today and see if I can adjust the oil pump as was suggested, it does seem more like a mixture problem to me..I hope im right as this is the cheaper option to fix....
ancientd
Make sure you've got the right type of 2 stroke oil in the tank. Scooters run cool and so need scooter oil for premix, if the wrong oil is used your plugs will foul up on a regular basis, the exhaust will clog up with un burnt oil and cause heavy smoking and poor running. As for the smoking under acceleration, this may also be caused by the wrong type of oil or a badly adjusted oil injector pump. My wife runs a Vivacity 100 and that had a similar problem, chainging the oil made a world of difference once it had run on the good stuff for a few hundred miles (it takes time to burn off the old oil residue)
robborobinson
Problem is now solved...

I have put fresh petrol in the bike and it made a tremendous difference.

When we took the petrol out it was a yellow'y colour, put fresh petrol in, and instantly it wasnt smoking at all.

Im not sure what oil is in the bike as the previous owner filled it up before I had it.

What Oil would you recomend, I went into halfords yesterday and was going to buy some silkolene oil, but thought I would ask for recomendations first...

Cheers
Vlad
Sounds like someone put some diesel in it, would be the first time i've heard that been done.

Well at least its going good now.
ancientd
I would reccommend any 'Scooter' oil, most brands make a specific scooter oil, ask the dealer which one he carries. It's possible that someone has put oil in the petrol, some oils will make the petrol turn yellow, if possible check the operation of the oil injection pump, if it's not working properly it would explain the oil in the petrol. Take care, a Haines manual will tell you how to check the pump but if you're not sure get it checked out by a dealer, could save you a lot of money in the long run.
Wilf
I'm glad you've fixed it but I'm intrigued by these o rings, what are they part of?
robborobinson
When O Rings were suggested, I thought that the person who posted the reply meant piston rings, I therfore, in my post, used the same terminology so that we kept on the same wavelength...

If my assumptions are correct, and indeed he meant the piston rings, then in answer to your question, they are part of the pistons...

Thanks for all your help, look out for my future problems, Im sure there be some more....
ancientd
I think the 'O' rings refered to are actually in the Oil Pump, if they go the pump don't work properly and the bike could sieze up. Piston rings on a 2 stroke don't cause excessive smoke, just low power.
robborobinson
thats put me right then...

again though, thanks for all the replies, you've all been most helpful..
Wilf
Thanks ancientd, I thought uwl had meant piston rings as well but I wasn't sure either.
ancientd
Worn piston rings will make a 4 stroke smoke but will just reduce performance in a 2 stroke as the lubrication is carried in the fuel and not floating round the crankcase. On an oil injection system if the 'O' rings go on the pump it will not pump oil properly which will lead to and engine sieze up, a quick fix is to add oil to the fuel but needs carefull measuring else you get loads of smoke as the oil reduces the octain rating of the fuel and does not burn completely.
Anth
I meant "O"Rings.

Didn't even think of Piston Rings actually- glad I didn't suggest that- could have looked like a real arris

Ok, OK- more of one than usual blush21.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.