Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What are peoples opinions of RST Leathers
UK Bike Forum > General > Bike Chat
Sodom
I'm going to be buying a 2 piece suit soon. My original plan was to get Frank Thomas gear as I know a couple people who have bought suits by FT and they're quite happy with them and also my local bike place stocks mainly FT things.

My only problem is I think I am going to need a 38" chest jacket and FT only do a 38" in one style and I don't really like it. I've been looking at a few other makes and RST seem to do most of their styles in a 38" chest.

I just wondered what people thought of RST - does anyone have any comments on their gear - good or bad. Also what is the quality like?

Thanks people :tounge:
devilpaint
have a look in the kit reviews regarding leathers-i've not had anything by RST, but the leathers are all pretty much made by the same company, with different labels stuck on(apparently).

you get what you pay for with leathers, if you take a trip up "the hill" i personally, would avoid the shop right at the top begining with P & ending in O, their own brand is imho poor quality
Sodom
Thanks mate - I've checked out the kit reviews section and also the articles on the front page, the most interesting piece of info was that on the white leather and how that is the most difficult colour to dye so I'll definitely be checking the quality of different brands white leathers when I go looking.

I'm a long way from Newcastle but might end up checking out 'the hill' at some stage. First though there is an RST stockist in Darlington just round the corner from White Brothers (who stock mainly Frank Thomas stuff) so I think I'll take a look there first.

Any more comments guys?
Vlad
Oh yes, just got some from our friend Zombie.

Really nice two piece!!! buttrock.gif buttrock.gif buttrock.gif
Sodom
QUOTE(T.C @ Nov 21 2004, 05:30 PM)
RST are an OK brand, nothing outstanding about them for the price, but they will do a job providing they fit correctly.

If you are in no particular hurry, I am just finishing an in depth piece on leathers for Motorcycle Voyager which should appear in the January issue which you should be able to read on the website if you don't want to buy a copy which should give you all the help you need.

How would you say they compared to Frank Thomas?

I'm not in any rush really and would be interested to read your article when it is completed.
Sodom
QUOTE(Vlad @ Nov 21 2004, 05:28 PM)
Oh yes, just got some from our friend Zombie.
Really nice two piece!!! buttrock.gif  buttrock.gif  buttrock.gif

What leathers was it that you bought mate? How are you finding them in comparison to other leathers you have owned?
Sodom
Thanks for taking the time to write that reply TC - I really appreciate it.

I can't find any Scott/Wolf leathers within my budget (and the style I'm looking for) anywhere and can find very few websites that stock anything by Swift sad1.gif

Ideally I want to spend no more than 350 on a set of 2 piece leathers. I would love to take a day trip over to Europe to grab myself a good set but I don't have the time or budget unfortunately.

What time of year do companies try to bring out their new range of items? Maybe I could pick up 'last years model' for a knock down price when the new stuff comes in.
Vlad
RST propelle Jacket and Trousers.

Tried on quite a few differant makes from J&S, Frank Thomas and the like and for the price and comfort the RST win hands down.

310 was what i paid and they just feel real nice, not too tight but enough to feel them.

In my opinion you cant go wrong with that kinda value, but check them out, try them on, you might not get on with them.
Sodom
What colour did you go for mate?

I kinda like the look of those.. I was looking at the gunmetal or red Dyno 2 piece but I think the gunmetal looks a bit gay and the red's a bit too in ya' face maybe..

The propelle looks nice and subtle. What is the protection like - is there any armour anywhere?
Vlad
4arms , shoulders and padding at the back.

Oh Yeah, i got the "Looks Abit Gay" colour!!! swivel.gif
Sodom
Haha I didn't mean the propelle gunmetal looked gay - I think that looks good..

I meant the 2 piece dyno suit in gunmetal looked well homo.. smile1.gif
Vlad
QUOTE(Sodom @ Nov 21 2004, 08:23 PM)
Haha I didn't mean the propelle gunmetal looked gay - I think that looks good..

I meant the 2 piece dyno suit in gunmetal looked well homo..  smile1.gif

Well, thats alright then grin.gif
Sodom
Hmm.. I've found the Dyno 2 piece suit for 249.99 and to be honest I've changed my mind about the "homo" look lbhh.gif

I actually think it looks alright.

user posted image
Vlad
Hmm, thats the one i wanted originally but Zombie did'nt have it, so i went for the Propelle.

Both of them look good, maybe the Propelle is just that little more subtle, but try them both on if you can and if they both feel good its up to your own personal taste.
Sodom
Does Zombie have a shop or something?
Vlad
He is in the Trade at the mo, give him a shout, he could be able to give you some advice/ prices etc.

Vlad........ cool2.gif
robchester
Mate it sounds like you're of slim build having a "38 chest. I have a pair of RST Protex jeans, purchased from the NEC last year and i can safely say that these jeans are superb. Theyre an excellent fit (no saggy arris) they look great and the protection is good with extra panels and double stitching where it counts. Im a 32 - 34 waist and these are a great fit. Ive combined them with Hein Gericke Jacket and as a 2 piece its unbeatable. If you cant find what any RST stuff you like, id suggest Hein Gericke. I bought the PSX Jacket which at 130 is good value considering the quality but i reckon the jeans from the same range are also good value at around 100 (i think) Get over to Darlington to check out the Hein Gericke store, just around the corner from Whites. P***o can also be bought from a place called Teesside Leathers in Darlo (owned by same people) but they try to pass off low quality goods as the best in the biz
Sodom
QUOTE(robchester @ Nov 22 2004, 07:55 PM)
Mate it sounds like you're of slim build having a "38 chest. I have a pair of RST Protex jeans, purchased from the NEC last year and i can safely say that these jeans are superb. Theyre an excellent fit (no saggy arris) they look great and the protection is good with extra panels and double stitching where it counts. Im a 32 - 34 waist and these are a great fit. Ive combined them with Hein Gericke Jacket and as a 2 piece its unbeatable. If you cant find what any RST stuff you like, id suggest Hein Gericke. I bought the PSX Jacket which at 130 is good value considering the quality but i reckon the jeans from the same range are also good value at around 100 (i think) Get over to Darlington to check out the Hein Gericke store, just around the corner from Whites. P***o can also be bought from a place called Teesside Leathers in Darlo (owned by same people) but they try to pass off low quality goods as the best in the biz

Welcome to the forums Rob.

Are you from the area mate? Are Teesside Leathers no good then? I was going to go there mainly to try on the RST stuff and then purchase it from the net.

What was that word that's been blanked out btw?! - "p***o".
ZOMB!E
310 was what i paid
lbhh.gif

RST is good stuff for the money in my opinion. i wear it and my mate chris wears it and he races in it. we have his brands crash suit in the shop and he came off at over one fourty - fair enough the suit is trashed but it held up and didnt rip anywhere. he was wearing a standard off the shelf rst one piece. We're going to display it as a sales pitch!
Sodom, if you want mate i will look into a deal for you. I can blag some 'keen' prices for ukbike members - ill look into seeing if i can get a match for price on the dyno and if i can ill post it for nothing.
Vlad
SHOOSH Zomb.LOL lbhh.gif
Sodom
QUOTE(zombie @ Nov 22 2004, 08:54 PM)
lbhh.gif

RST is good stuff for the money in my opinion. i wear it and my mate chris wears it and he races in it. we have his brands crash suit in the shop and he came off at over one fourty - fair enough the suit is trashed but it held up and didnt rip anywhere. he was wearing a standard off the shelf rst one piece. We're going to display it as a sales pitch!
Sodom, if you want mate i will look into a deal for you. I can blag some 'keen' prices for ukbike members  - ill look into seeing if i can get a match for price on the dyno and if i can ill post it for nothing.

Ouch! 140mph? Pretty impressive that the suit held out to be honest. And if they're good enough for you and your mate then I think they're good enough for me. grin.gif

If you could look into that please Zombie I'd be really grateful (although I wouldn't be able to afford it until after xmas as I'm a bit broke right now and I have my car MOT coming up first thing in January). One other question you may be able to answer about the Dyno 2 piece - on some sites I've seen that the star after the "RST" is in black, on others it's in red.. do you know what colour it is supposed to be ('cos I much prefer the red star!).. might seem picky I know but I think the red star makes it look a little bit better!..

Thanks mate. I'll wait to hear back from you on this and we can take it from there smile1.gif bowdown.gif
robchester
Sodom yeah im in the Teesside area. Proto is the make that im talking about. Teesside Leathers is ok for a look but theyre pretty persuasive so be careful.

What bike are you looking for?
Sodom
Never heard of Proto smile1.gif

Unless Zombie can come up with a good price I'm in no rush to buy really so it won't be until after xmas that I'd be going looking.. I think I should be able to resist the charms of Teesside Leathers.

Do you know of any other shops in the area that stock RST?

I'm after a CBR mate (600)..
robchester
CBR eh? Quite a bike for a first purchase. I bought a GS500 for my first bike (which im now selling) and it has helped me to hone my skills a little better. A little long in the tooth however it still keeps up in the twisties where its needed. My mate bought a GSX R 600 and i think he scared himself out of riding. He only rode it about 200 miles and has now given it up. You looking for F or the RR? Id suggest if u want a sportsbike then u look at the more sedate f rather than a race orientated bike. They dont give you any room for error and will snap if you dont give it respect.

Looks like we're of similar age - i turned 23 myself a couple of months ago and ive been riding for 18months.

I reckon ill prob upgrade to a Bandit 600 next (once the gs is sold) as im not too keen on the overslung position of a sportsbike at the moment.

Once you get ur bike, if you fancy a ride out then give me a shout - theres plenty good routes around here
Sodom
Yeah matey it's the F that I'm after.. I know exactly what I want - it'll just be a case of finding it when I have the cash after xmas.. smile1.gif

Are you thinking of getting the Bandit or the Bandit 'S'? It's a fine choice - nice bike smile1.gif

Where do you tend to go riding?

I think there's quite a few people from our area that post on here so I'm pretty sure there'll be at least one get together for a ride round the North at some stage next year grin.gif
Fazerstun
QUOTE(robchester @ Nov 23 2004, 11:32 PM)
I reckon ill prob upgrade to a Bandit 600 next (once the gs is sold)

Oh DrB........ sales pitch quick! lbhh.gif
Sodom
QUOTE(set fazer to stun @ Nov 24 2004, 08:52 AM)
Oh DrB........ sales pitch quick!  lbhh.gif

Haha - I was wondering how long it would take for DB to post actually smile1.gif feel free to invade my thread lbhh.gif
drbandit
OK Rob, I can't resist. I need to get rid of my 1999 600 Bandit S. Half faired (of course). 16,500 miles. Black. Full staniless system (unlike the standard Suzuki one veryangry.gif ). Hugger.

I'm leaving the country in January, so late December would suit. PM me if you're interested. It's in Manchester / North Yorkshire. Whichever's convenient. Bargaining starts at 2000...
robchester
Send me some pics over and ill take a look Dr...

Black or Blue is what im in the market for - however i was looking for something with lower mileage but ill definitely take a look..
Sodom
Any news on that price Zombie?

I'm trying to find a reliable! place local to me that stocks RST stuff so I can go and see what size I am.. I know I'll be a 38/40.. just don't know which.. sad1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.