IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Suzuki Burgman 125 Problems, Lack of power.
Welshie
post May 1 2010, 04:04 PM
Post #1

Bring on the summer!!
Group Icon

Group: active member
Member No.: 10,202
Bike: Suzuki Burgman 125 K6, 2000 reg 50cc (can't remember name)

Having a bit of a problem at the moment with Bessy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad1.gif) .... She is very underpowered and struggling to make hills (speed is below 20mph on hills, hills that I can take at 60mph).

I have ran through a number of things/possible causes:

Air Filter -- Cleaned today, there was oil inside the box.

Muck in the petrol

Carb is blocked

Fuel filter is caput

That is all that I can think of at the moment, but I don't have the funds to take it to a garage, so I'll need help (step by step) as not mechanically minded either.

One thing I did notice was there was alot of Carbon in the exhaust, so I am thinking it could be a Carbon build up. If it is this, then my plan of attack was to take the exhaust off and pour Costic Soda in and plug it up, then empty in the morning. Can't do that however as I have a CAT in the pipe :s

Im about to go out now in any case and *try* and remove the fairings to have a better look, so i'll let you know how I get on.

thanks

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Biker835
post May 1 2010, 10:56 PM
Post #2

Big guy, small attention span!
Group Icon

Group: gods
Member No.: 1,853
Bike: Still got the little Honda but also have a Kwak W650. And now have a Honda C90 as well!!

If its carbon in the exhaust then the lack of power will have come on gradualy, if the power dropped suddenly then you might have a ring gone . Does the engine seem to spin over faster on the starter now? I`m not sure how you would check the compression but I would imagine if you can borrow a compression tester that screws into the plug hole then it should give you a better idea.
+Quote Post
BikerGran
post May 1 2010, 10:57 PM
Post #3

Gran Turismo
Group Icon

Member No.: 47
Bike: Kawasaki GT550 Trike. Yam RXS100 now sold, done up and back on the road!

Don't know anything about scooters but I'd say that if there's a build up of carbon in the exhaust it needs cleaning out as it will affect the performance.
But further than that - WHY is there a build up pf carbon? Is she running too rich? Have you checked the state of the plug?
+Quote Post
AllyBally
post May 1 2010, 11:06 PM
Post #4

I do what the little voices tell me to
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,275
Bike: XJ600 Divvie, FZS1000 Fazer

yup ! that would cause it !

The cure is 1 oily rag and a lit match !?!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/devil1.gif)

Sounds like you got a wee bit of work there mate, just take ya time an steadily sort each problem, should sort it in the end.

New air an fuel filters; fresh petrol (give the tank a clean out); new sparks; an a good carb clean should sort it
Any probs , just shout , one of us more 'hands on' types should be able to help.
+Quote Post
Welshie
post May 2 2010, 12:17 AM
Post #5

Bring on the summer!!
Group Icon

I haven't long had the bike back from the garage, had a top to bottom inspection, two new tyres aswell as a service. So I cannot see it being the carbs etc..

Had another check tonight and there is more oil in the air filter (just small amounts) and there is what looks like oil coming out the end of the exhuast. -- Could be Carbon build up though.

I do have a Cat in the exhuast, so not too sure on how to go about cleaning it, am now at the point of just pouring petrol in and lighting it all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad1.gif)

I do not have the money for a garage job, so it is one of these do-it-yourselfers :/

Thanks for the help (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

Nathan

+Quote Post
Biker835
post May 2 2010, 09:29 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Bike: Still got the little Honda but also have a Kwak W650. And now have a Honda C90 as well!!

Isnt the Burghman a four stroke?
+Quote Post
andyb
post May 2 2010, 09:43 AM
Post #7

Pit lane tart
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,123
Bike: Thundercat!

QUOTE(Biker835 @ May 2 2010, 10:29 AM) *

Isnt the Burghman a four stroke?

Yeah it is, well my next door neighbours one is anyway (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grin.gif)
+Quote Post
Biker835
post May 2 2010, 04:16 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Well in that case I`m afraid oil in the exhuast and air filter definately means its the piston rings have gone. your looking at a top end engine strip and rebore (or new barrel piston and rings) minimum.
+Quote Post
Welshie
post May 2 2010, 06:15 PM
Post #9

Bring on the summer!!
Group Icon

Great (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad1.gif)

Any Idea for a cost on that mate?

+Quote Post
Fazerstun
post May 2 2010, 08:10 PM
Post #10

Unregistered

Just out of interest, you haven't put too much oil in it have you?
Had a similar problem meself a while back...... not that I'm suggesting Biker835 is wrong, just might be worth a check...
+Quote Post
Biker835
post May 2 2010, 10:26 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Good point Faze I should have thought of that, that would explain the loss of power as well. Drain the oil into a container and then refill with the correct amount as given in the owners manual that will then rule that out.
+Quote Post
fastfitter
post May 3 2010, 07:02 AM
Post #12

Getting younger and better looking every day
Group Icon

Member No.: 31
Bike: RF900, T250R, T250J, GS850G

As said, oil in the airbox is usually a sign of duff piston rings (compression blows past the rings, pressurises the cases and forces oil out the breather pipe into the airbox) or just over-filled oil. If it's just been serviced it's not impossible the garage have over-filled it.

This would mean the air from the airbox into the carb/FI would be very oily causing poor running and possibly unburnt oil building up in the exhaust.

Get the oil level right, clean the airfilter if possible (don't know if it's a sponge or paper on on the Burgervan) or replace, clean/replace the spark plug and take it from there.
+Quote Post
Defiler
post May 3 2010, 10:18 AM
Post #13

Do-be-do-do-dah
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 3,663
Bike: 1997 Honda Blackbird (mmm - orange) 2001 Ducati 748 (yellow)

Just a small thought. It's probably not relevant, but worth considering if it saves you a pain in the arris.

The old Yamaha Diversions had a problem with the crank breather. Any moisture getting into the oil should have been boiled out and dumped into the airbox, but often it wasn't getting hot enough (especially in this country) to boil off the water. The result was a milky/cheesy emulsified oil filth getting dumped into the airbox (and then pouring out of the airbox drain onto the garage floor). Fazer will have had the same on her old Divvie too.

Is it clean oil that's coming out, or is there an emulsified residue as well? If it's emulsified it could be the breather pipe is full of crap like my old bike. Yamaha's fix was lagging the breather pipe, and losing one of the hoses from the valve cover.

As I say, it's probably not relevant as the Burgman will have very different plumbing for venting moisture from the crank (and if you've not had this problem before it makes it even less likely). I'm just throwing it out there in case it saves you a lot of time/trouble/money.
+Quote Post
Welshie
post May 3 2010, 01:57 PM
Post #14

Bring on the summer!!
Group Icon

The oil level is spot on, the air filter has been cleaned -- shoved my fingers up (no dirty thoughts you lot!) the air filter pipe and it looked almost like dry oil --- so it can't be coming from there.

I bought some redex today, poured a cap full (250ml bottle) in, so am now waiting for it to take effect. Do you think it would be worth putting another cap in?

It looks like clean oil Defiler, and i'd like to know how the hell it got into the tip of my exhaust.

Needless to say what ever is wrong with the bike, it is really starting to p!ss me off.

Forgot to say aswell, left a mates house last night, went to start the bike up and nothing was happening :/ -- my electric start has become tempermental so looks as though that is going to need replacing aswell.

Thanks for all the replies, and i'll let everyone know if this redex does anything.

+Quote Post
Defiler
post May 3 2010, 07:57 PM
Post #15

Do-be-do-do-dah
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 3,663
Bike: 1997 Honda Blackbird (mmm - orange) 2001 Ducati 748 (yellow)

QUOTE(Welshie @ May 3 2010, 02:57 PM) *

It looks like clean oil Defiler, and i'd like to know how the hell it got into the tip of my exhaust.

Oh well - I didn't reckon that'd be it. Was worth asking the question on the off-chance that it saved you a lot of time and money though...
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2014 - 03:19 PM